This is a recipe I found a few months ago when starting my clean eating journey. After making them once I tweaked them a little bit. Don’t let the carrot scare you off, they are so sweet and yummy!! My kids gobble them up. They also freeze well for a fast breakfast or snack. Just pop them in the microwave for a few minutes and you are ready to go.
Whole Wheat Carrot Muffins
- 1¾ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ cups grated carrots (about 3-4 medium carrots)
- 1/4-1/2 chocolate chips (adjust the amount depending on your own tastes, I put just enough that my daughter thinks she is getting a sweet treat).
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 12-muffin pan.
- In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the wet ingredients (everything except the carrots) until well combined. Add the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be sure to not over stir.
- Fold in the carrots and desired amount of chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to the muffin pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Note: If I plan to freeze them I double the batch.